Monday, August 21, 2006

Scratch-MSO

Scratch
MSO's theme this week is "scratch". At first it made me think about "scratching" an itch. I thought about my dog, Bone, who has been scratching a lot these last 2 weeks, and my husband and daughter finally gave him a bath yesterday, which looks like it took care of it, because he is now very happy and no longer scratching. I then thought of my cat's scratching post, but would be a pretty boring picture unless I actually got a picture of her scratching it. My daughter just said, "how about we cook something from scratch mom?" You know how often I do that? Ugh, so sad, huh? But then I got to thinking about the old days, "old school", now they call it. I grew up in Pomona (which is about 30 minutes east of L.A.). DJing, poplocking, scratching, dancing in the quad at lunchtime, where they would have poplock contests. Those were the days. Anyway, did a search on "scratching" on You tube, and actually came up with a lot of "scratching". For those of you not familiar, it is actually manipulating a vinyl lp on a turntable t make some really interesting beats. (Gosh, now I 'm really dating myself). Anyway, if you've never checked it out, and you like to groove to the beat, check this out. Peace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pejPfK89lf0

For more MamaSaysOm, click here.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Elaine, please delete prior post link to Myspace. I'm not sure it will work for everyone, unless they are a member. Thanks! Mandy

Waya said...

I remember the scratching on the turntable thing. Wasn't that really popular in the 80's? When I thought about scratch, I automatically thought of "you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours." hmm, maybe I'll post about it. Was debating if I should or not.

Veronica TM said...

I really enjoyed the video. Love that you thought about this 'scratching' and not the usual meaning of it.

Shelley said...

"Two turntables and a microphone"

Old school! Lovin' it.

Amanda said...

Too Cool! My dd loved this video!