Friday, September 08, 2006

Helping with the grout




I'm so lucky I have such a handy husband. Not only was he an electrician by trade for many years, but he can do about anything he sets his mind to around the house. The latest being retiling our shower. We bought about a 30 yr old house down here in San Diego, and it has given him plenty of opportunities to do "projects" around the house. Even though he gets a little frustrated at times, if something is broken and needs repair, as opposed to just upgrading something and making it look nicer, I think he really enjoys most of what he does. He's just like a little boy showing off his artwork, when he comes into the room, "honey, come look at this and tell me what you think?" I praise it, and really am quite proud of all that he can do. Especially, when you hear other women complain about what there husbands can't or won't do around the house. Here you see Violet helping him grout the shower pan earlier this week. All it needs is the shower door now.

Today, we went to the local thrift stores in pursuit of props and outfits for an American Girl Play that Violet would like to direct and play in with her friends. It happens to be a play we picked up at a thrift store some time ago. We ended up finding a velvet Renaissance dress, and knights outfit for Olivia, with a shield and some books as well. I found a really great Mexican tin & tile mirror and a wooden elephant mirror for the girls room (which is safari themed). I recently stumbled on this $99 Thrift Challenge at Apron Thrift Girl's blog. I really love her blog, as I love to go "junkin" as an old friend used to call it, going to yard sales, thrift stores, rummage sales. She has mostly a vintage style in her blog, but it's really fun to check out what other people find and what kind of deals that they get. I mostly get things to go in the house, garden stuff, books. Being that we're unschoolers, I'm always on the lookout for books the kids will like, reference type books, games, dress-up, anything they might find of interest, and they really enjoy coming as well. They learn the value of things, and bring their own money (sometimes). I like what Apron Thrift Girl says about being eco-chic, comsuming less, recycling and reusing, and try to apply those principles to my life as well, and make my children aware of recycling, and appreciating "used" items.
You can check out my other cool finds on my Flicker account, just click on the Flicker pictures on the right.

2 comments:

Waya said...

Man! Your whole family is sooooo crafty! Want to send that handy hubbie of yours to our house? I could use his help with A LOT of stuff around the house. Yeah, I do have one of those "handy challenge" hubbie.

Danielle said...

I think it's so neat that they are putting on an American Girl play. Is this based on the series?
I sent my cousin all the American girl books for her 8th birthday- they were at a used bookstore for 99 cents each. She loves them.
I am blessed to have a handy husband as well. He's a mechanic, and free oil changes and repairs do come in handy. (Plus knowing he wouldn't lie to me about what my car needs)