Thursday, January 11, 2007

Delurking, making new friends

Domino Delurking
I read at Wannabehippie that it is national delurking week, so I thought what a great way to find new blogs to read, and potentially make new friends. When I first started blogging I never realized how huge the blogger thing was, and how many interesting people with similar interests (as well as not similar) you can find out in the internet world. I first found blogging through clicking on a link on a Yahoo group post. I noticed that posters would put a link under their name at the bottom of the post. I think I initially did this with an unschooling group, so the first blogs I read were unschoolers, where I found many great blogs about the daily lives of unschoolers like SandraDodd, where you can find many other great unschooling links, Learning in Freedom, Unschooling blog ring. After that, I found many mommy blogs, and from there, many creative, artistic, be it writing, painting, gardening, knitting, sewing, scrapping, photography, and even thrifting, there are way too many to name. I've also found many really funny writers such as OhTheJoys, TheDigression. I've made new friends which include Amanda at Growinggreengrapes, Betty at Waya, and kept in touch with old ones; Crystal at DaikiniCrossroads. This internet world is amazing. My only problem is finding the time to do it all. You can really get wrapped up in it. I tend to go in in the mornings before the girls wake up, and occassionally will have a late night just staying up reading all the interesting blogs out there. How did you find blogging? What do you think about it? Have you made new friends? Any negative experiences. How did you find me? Come on, it's delurking week, so let me know what you think. And, if you haven't commented before but have read my blog, "it's nice to meet you!", I'll check out your blog when you leave a post.

6 comments:

Kent said...

The blogosphere is indeed an amazingly big place, and remarkably fascinating. It's crazy how many different people and interests you can find by looking around. I agree with you that it's quite addicting, as well.

I had never even heard of National Delurking Week until you mentioned it over on my humble blog. I like the idea! To that end, I'm planning on finding at least five new blogs to comment on. Not that much, I know, but you gotta start somewhere.

Thanks for your kind reference to my blog! I made sure to add a link to yours from mine, as well. (Something that, admittedly, I should have done a long time ago. Oops.)

I see you're using labels, now. The new version of Blogger is definitely an improvement. I like your new color scheme and layout, too!

Waya said...

I never thought how this blogging thing would go. I was so intimidated by all these great writers when I first started. But then I find the group that I "fit" in the best. And it's been great getting to "know" so many wonderful people, like yourself Mandy. It's like having a bunch of friends all over the places that I can call up if I happen to visit their city. I hope they'll take my call, though.

DaikiniCrossroads ~Crystal~ said...

Hey...without blogging we would have lost touch. How in the world was it that I came across you again??? Life is certainly good! Thanks for the beautiful pic of the girls BTW.

Mandy said...

Cystal, I think it was the Nintendo Cat piece you did, someone had referred to it, and I thought "Hey! I know her!" BTW, that was so hilarious, loved it!

Mandy said...

oops, I mean "Crystal", hit the button too fast....

Terri said...

I just starting "blogging" about 3 weeks ago... but we've had a blog for our baby since August of 2005, I only left comments on OUR blog to the people who left comments ...
but I started blogging because of Dan from England (0ddness w/ a Zero not an O ) I met him on a congenital heart information network, we became e~friends and I love his blog....he's quite funny ~
his blog lists a bunch of blogs so I started to go out for a peek...

met some real nice mom bloggers...
I like to stick to the "mom type" or CHD blogs....
Queen of Mayhem is quite fun, so is Girl in Her Underwear,
The Special Zipper is near and dear to my heart (from Austrailia, another CHD blog)

But.. this blogging does get addicting...I hate to admit....
and I got carried away for a little while...I have a 20 month old boy to care for....
so I try to make myself only blog when he's napping or in bed....

It's my escape.