Thursday, January 18, 2007

The road less traveled

Olivia looking at the lagoon
Monday, we went to Batiquitos Lagoon in Carlsbad with our girl scout troop. We went to learn how to do geocaching. Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache. (copied from here: geocaching) There were only a few units, so we didn't really get to see how it works. But, I'd really like to get our own and try it out again another day. It's funny how you can have plans layed out and your (mine) heart set on something and have it turn into something completely different. Violet was just coming down with a cold and didn't really have her heart in it. So, about 1/3 way into it, at the first cache, she felt like heading back. At first, I was really disappointed because "I" wanted to do it. But, realizing she was tired because of her cold, and plus it was really too far for Olivia, we headed back. What's great though, is that we really took our time coming back and noticed so much more that we had missed heading out, by trying to keep up with the group. There was so much wildlife, and beautiful surroundings, that we could stop and enjoy it, and talk about it. We met a really nice dog with blue eyes and tossed a stick for him to fetch a few times. We stopped at the Nature center and saw so many interesting things there; animal skeletons, rocks, shells, nests, information about the lagoon. It is definately a place I would like to return to, and hopefully we can go all the way down, and perhaps try out the geocaching again. What I learned is that I need to listen, trust, and slow down and enjoy more.
MockingbirdOur mother earthBatiquitos Lagoon
More photos here

3 comments:

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I suppose the same could be said of everyone's life! If only I had the luxury of slowing down! I enjoyed reading your blog! :)

Mockingjoe said...

Hey... I used to work there! At the Four Seasons that is...

Btw... sorry we missed you guys Saturday night. We were out of cell range when my mom called us. Definitely need to get together though so you can see Jayden.

Take care...

Joe & Leslie

Terri said...

Hey...
I found your blog off of Queen Of the Mayhem (she's such fun, huh!)

I noticed that you are homeschooling... when my son comes of age... I will be homeschooling also... here in Las Vegas... our public school system is 47th in the nation... yuk...