Saturday, March 10, 2007

Artist's Way

Olivia's ATC
We made some atcs the other day for an atc swap with Imagination Tribe. The theme was Elements, or Fire, Water, Earth and Wind. Violet came up with a great idea to use real dirt for the earth element. So she went out and got a scoop and we glued it to the cards. I really like that she was inspired by the Avatar show that she loves so much in recreating the symbols for the elements on her cards. Her creativity always amazes me. Olivia wanted to try it to, so I gave her a precut 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 in. piece of cardstock, and let her go at it. She painted it with watercolor then experimented with glue on top of that. It came out really neat! I love that kids have no preconceived ideas of what art "should" be. The ideas just naturally flow and they incorporate things they see and hear about to add to it. I on the other hand, often have mental blocks that prevent me from being as creative as I would like to be. I think that long ago I learned that my art wasn't good enough, and that it was a waste of time, and that you should only pursue it (or do it) if you are really, really good, and I never felt I was good enough. It wasn't until I started doing stuff with my kids and joining groups of others that try different art forms, like altered books, scrapbooking, card making, etc. that I started to believe my art was "good enough". I recently heard about a book called The Artist's Way, A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron and picked it up at the library. I've found it very interesting so far, especially that it comes from the perspective of someone with a 12-step background, which she incorporates throughout her book. Her chapters are actually titled "Recovering a sense of safety, recovering a sense of identity and so on... She starts with suggesting a daily morning journal. I'm going to start keeping one and see where it takes me. There are some wonderful quotes throughout the book as well. She even quoted John Holt, "We learn to do something by doing it. There is no other way." The art she speaks of can be any form, be it writing, painting, photography, etc. In the meantime, we continue to enjoy learning new artforms. One being some altered bottles that we painted at an altered art group we joined recently. See my flicker for more photos.
Olivia's 1st ATC

7 comments:

Gherkin Pickle said...

Those are completely awesome! I have one who will love making some up...now to find other such artists who want to swap! lol Thanks for sharing, they are wonderful!

SusieJ said...

You're such a good Mom! And what a treasure, to capture not only the art -- but the process.

Pendullum said...

That is beautiful...

Amy Linder said...

That's great! So much fun and creative.

Oh, and thanks so much for the Tagging info. The deed is done.

Amy :)

Mandy said...

GP: Imagination Tribe is a great group to swap with. Here's the address: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/imaginationtribe/
SJ, Pendulum & AL: thanks for your nice comments

wayabetty said...

I wish I had some of the kids' imagination! That's great stuff!

Ana Maria said...

Just joined the tribe after reading your entry here. I have a 6 year old and she loves doing art with me; her art is posted on my Flickr (under "Renmeleon"). We are homeschooling as well and our whole family is addicted to Avatar. hehe We don't have television (by choice) so we rent the DVDs. Looking forward to seeing you guys around. If your daughter ever wants a "penfriend" (penpal), my Ysa always loves doing trades!