Friday, May 04, 2007

Rough two weeks... but getting better!

Capt Hook
It's been kind of a rough two weeks. The day after we got back from Corvallis, Violet had 3 teeth pulled. I've honored her wish not to take any pictures of her. She had two extra teeth between her two front top baby teeth and the adult teeth above them. The adult teeth would not come in unless the extra teeth were pulled. She also had an extra eye tooth as well as her front top baby tooth being a double tooth. Poor thing, got her mommy's teeth. I had teeth pulled as a kid, because my mouth was too crowded. I remember covering my mouth with my hand when I smiled because I had "fangs". I wonder if I would have been as self-conscience about it had I not been in school. Violet has never mentioned her teeth bothering her and I've never heard anyone tease her about it. I think she has a beautiful smile, and I tell her that often. I had to wear braces for a couple of years. They were the retainers, not the "railroads". My mom says I wrote notes to her after the dentist would tighten them, because it hurt to talk, telling her I hated her. Oh gosh, I don't remember writing that, but I do remember being quite angry about it. I really felt bad for Violet going through this. She of course, was not happy about it, but we discussed it beforehand, and talked about why it was necessary. Had the roots of the adult teeth hardened and grown much more into the nasal cavity, it would have created worse problems for her. It took a week for her to start feeling better, and then, poor thing, she got an ear infection. In the meantime, I came down with a sore throat, and Olivia had a fever for a couple of nights. Lastly, I got an infection on one of my fingers and had to go get antibiotics for it today. I think we're all finally on the road to recovery.

Violet was feeling well enough for her book club today. Two of her friends came over and talked about the book Peter Pan. Her friend Erika brought a paper craft where they made "never birds", and they played out some of their favorite scenes from the book. They had fun, and I got to catch up with an unschooler friend and update her about the conference. Her daughter, Maile, wrote a beautiful song and sang it for us, and made a Peter Pan diorama with her little brother, Glen.
Violet & Maile
Today, I went out front and helped Dan with the borders for the front yard's landscaping. He has sod coming in tomorrow, and needed to get the borders down. I think it's going to look really nice when it's all done. I'm holding off posting pictures (of the newly painted house) until the yard is done, so you can see the before and after.
Here he is getting dirty, laying sprinklers.......
Big boys still play in the mud!
While we were out there, Domino was running around stalking birds, and climbing the maple trees. Got a couple cute shots of him up there.
Domino

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm glad to hear everyone is well and Violet is recovering. Looks like your hubby is having fun!

Pendullum said...

Everyday she gets a bit better...Do not envy you the experience though... You must have been a wreck inside,while staying so brave for your daughter...