Saturday, June 02, 2007

My dear Abby

More of my pretty Abby
I'm so sad today......
I wrote this to my mom this morning and am just copying and pasting, because I can't talk about it anymore, but want to post to tribute to my dear Abby, I am going to miss her so much.....

Early yesterday morning, (4-5 am), I was asleep in Violet's bed, as she had fallen asleep in mine, and I was awoken by some noises out front. I got up and went to the front door, thinking maybe it was a skunk or something, and I opened the door and saw two coyotes by the street. When it saw me it went running down the street with an animal in it's mouth (it was dark and I couldn't see exactly what). My first thought was Domino, and I was really worried that it was him, because I knew he was probably outside. I woke Dan and told him and he got up and drove down the street. I could hear the coyotes howling down at the end. He didn't see them but came back and I instantly started looking and calling for Domino. He didn't come right away, then just as Dan got in his truck to leave for work he came running up to the door. I was so relieved and thought maybe it was a rabbit that they had gotten. I was really relieved because I thought Violet would have been so upset and it would have been so hard to talk to her about. Then, I thought about Abby but figured she was asleep in the house somewhere (she never goes out without us). Finally, about 9 am I still hadn't seen her and started to worry. I looked everywhere for her, and still could not find her. Renee brought her kids by about 10, she had a drs appt, so I figured if they were there Abby wouldn't come out, but I was still worried. Finally, they left and I still hadn't seen Abby. I was starting to think the worst. Later, the kids were out front playing, and I was up by the fruit trees. Dan was weed wacking the yard. I looked down and saw tufts of hair. I picked them up and could tell that they were Abbys. I was so sad. I went in and cried about it (crying now as I write). I feel so bad that I didn't look for her. I didn't even realize she was outside. Poor Abby. I'm mad at myself as well. I was up really late watching a movie after the kids went to bed, and didn't even think to look outside for her, I just assumed she was inside. Anyways, I can't see getting myself another cat for awhile. And, we will definately be making sure Domino is in every night. I sooo hate this, it is so hard.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sorry, it's hard to lose a pet. I haven't had another since my cat died (over 9 years ago). It must be even harder once you have kids involved.
Take care

Schuyler said...

Oh, I am so sorry. My cat, Yoni, got taken by a coyote when I lived just east of Albuquerque, NM. My roommate saw her killed, and it was quick. The coyote didn't play, like the cat plays with mice. It was one shake and she was dead. I think that helped to know.

Mandy said...

Thanks both of you. It helps. Also, I was just thinking today, maybe it was a momma coyote who needed to feed her babies. Still hard, and mad at myself, but the pain lessens, and good memories of her will stay with me forever.