Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Creatures in the night

Beware......creature of the night
In the middle of the night last night, I stepped into my dark hallway, after leaving the kids with a movie on in their room, and felt this sharp sting on my foot. I screamed and turned on the light to see this little guy scuttling down the hallway! I'm okay. He isn't poisonous, but oh what a scare!!! Dan came running out of the bedroom to see what was going on. I stumbled to the bathroom and put a wet wash cloth on my foot, while he attempted to catch the little guy. I threw him a cup from the bathroom and he caught him then put him in a baggie. We called poison control, because we really had no idea how poisonous they can or cannot be. Poison control said not to worry, it was rare to find toxic ones in this area. Dan stuck the baggie in the garage last night and today we went to check on him. He was still alive in the baggie, so I moved him to a fish bowl. Come to find they are very hardy and adaptable. They can tolerate extreme temperatures and live on as little as 1 insect a year! They are from the arachnid family (spiders). Of the 2000 species only 30 or 40 are toxic enough to kill a human. I'm not sure what kind this one is. I'm going to try to identify him on the internet and will post it if I find it. Last night, Violet asked if she could dissect him. But, since he's still alive, we are going to observe him for a while and learn more about him. Then, I'd like to take him (FAR!!!) away and release him. We found a good article about them on the National Geographic's website.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm so glad your OK and in perfect US style he became a learning adventure!

~Crystal~DaikiniCrossroads said...

Hey, I just had one of those in my shower the other day! How weird is that?