Saturday, September 15, 2007

October 24-Historical Meme

I read this historical tag post at From Under the Clutter and it sounded like fun to join in. Here’s the deal. Go to Wikipedia, type in your birthday without the year. Then post 3 events, 2 births, 2 deaths, and 1 holiday that occurred on that day. So here goes:

October 24th

Events:
1593 - Alleged teleportation of Gil Perez. (we could have taken a few pointers from this guy here)
1857 - Sheffield F.C., the world's first football club, is founded in Sheffield, England. (included because I was born in England)
1861 - The First Transcontinental Telegraph line across the United States is completed, spelling the end for the 18-month-old Pony Express. (thought this very interesting!)
Births:
1936 - Bill Wyman, English musician (The Rolling Stones) (Yeah, Rock and Roll)
1947 - Kevin Kline, American actor (Love this guy!)
Deaths:
1972 - Jackie Robinson, baseball player (b. 1919) (love that he's the 1st black American to play major league baseball)
2005 - Rosa Parks, American civil rights activist (b. 1913) (what can I say, amazing woman!)
Holiday:
United Nations Day (charter 1945) (cool, huh?)

1 comment:

Kevin Charnas said...

Umm...don't tell anyone, k? But...I'm really not "Kevin Charnas". The name's Perez...Gil Perez. And I used to be really into Phillipine soldier uniforms...from the 16th century. Kinky, huh?

Hey, where the hell am I? How'd I get here? What are all these little squares with letters on them that my fingers are moving on all hap-hazardly around? WTF?