Thursday, October 11, 2007

Wrapped Emotions - Go Feel Life

Cat rubbing Heart rubbing
This week's challenge:

This week let's do crayon rubbings. You will need an unwrapped crayon and thin paper such as tracing paper, onion skin paper, or tissue paper and your eyes and finger tips. During the week observe the texture of the world around you while at home, work, shopping, exploring nature, where ever you go. When you see or feel a texture that captures you, take a piece of paper, lay it against or wrap it around the object. With the side of the crayon rub across the surface, leaving a print of what was underneath it. Walls of buildings, manhole covers, tree bark, fabric...be observant...find something that speaks to you...makes you feel something from sight, then touch it.

I had so much fun with this week's challenge at Wrapped Emotions, that I made two of them. And, will probably make more with the kids (they're not interested at the moment). First, what came to mind was the typical outdoorsy nature rubbings, that I've done before with the kids; bark, leaves, rocks, etc. But, as I looked around this week, the things that stuck out to me were the things I have chosen for my home. Things that I enjoy looking at pretty much everyday. My colorful stained glass window with cats on it that hangs against our back sliding door window. A swirly patterned metal basket that hangs on my dining room wall, a woven basket, and a little gold colored wire basket that Olivia frequently plays with and always ends up out in plain view somewhere in the house. I loved the abstract patterns that it made when I made my rubbings on it. I started with the wire basket with swirly patterns on it. I was drawn to it because of the swirly designs. I just started rubbing, then thought it'd be neat to make a heart shape with it. Then, ideas just started flowing and I thought how it'd be neat to have a different background swirling behind it, so I used the little metal wire basket that Olivia plays with with a different color. I used some pastel crayons because they are just so much brighter and were easy to use. As I was sitting there working at the table I looked up and as I often do was looking at the colored glass window. It's so colorful and just puts you in a good mood looking at it. I love cats, so you see cats throughout my house in many forms. I took the paper and rubbed one of the cat profiles on the paper, then added the swirly background to it.
Wire basket Stained glass cat
heart shaped wire box
I then, went back and felt the textures of the original pieces. I don't know why I didn't do that first. I guess they aesthetically appealed to me first, then I remembered Melody's suggestions of touching it, physically connecting with it. I closed my eyes and felt the swirly basket on the wall. I love the curves of the metal. It's cool to the touch. It makes me think about the artist's vision and work that went into creating it. I wonder if he/she gets a sense of accomplishment or pride when creating it. I wonder if they are as happy with how it turned out as I am. I wonder if they know that it brings simple joy to another person. Then, I wonder if my art will bring joy to another person. Or, does it matter. I'm finally at a point where it brings me joy. Not only do I enjoy the process, but I get to look back at it, and feel the emotions that it brings to me.

Wow, I'm really surprised about what I just wrote. I really wasn't expecting that. I have never felt pride or contentment with something that I've created and now I'm getting to do that. It may not mean anything to anyone else, but I can enjoy it and I can be content with it, and......it just makes me feel really good!

For more of Wrapped Emotions or to join in go to the link below!
Wrapped Emotions button

19 comments:

Sheila said...

Those turned out beautiful! I have often wondered the same things with my own crafts/artwork. Although it is a neat feeling to know that someone else likes it too and has it in their home, the best part is the joy experienced when doing it!

Angie said...

They really brought me joy! I almost prefer the rubbing of the cat over the actual stained glass (and it's beautiful in itself!). I think you're really getting what this is all about.

Golightly said...

What a nice surprise to pop over here and find your awesome artwork. I love Melody's whole concept of Wrapped Emotions - I've just been too wrapped up to take part. Really, no pun intended! (I did go lay in the middle of Goofy's playhouse yard at Disneyland and take a picture looking up...Harrison had plopped himself down right there a few months previous.)

On another note, thanks for stopoing by this morning - I couldn't respond but here is what I had to say:
Yeah that's what we thought - what a great experience, yet a woman standing next to my husband looking at the artist's book said, "What a waste of talent." - because he creates art on sidewalks, etc. Forgive me for saying but I guess
"ignorance is bliss!" HELLO! She wouldn't get to experience Julian Beever's art FIRST HAND if he had stuck to canvas. And couldn't THAT be considered "a waste of talent"??
Anyway - coffee is kicking in...
Oh had to double check my link to Julian Beever's art. But it was there. I like the site you suggested too, a lot more examples of his work!

Sorry so long...

~ Melody ~ said...

I'm all giggly at how beautiful these are. You were so creative! And to read your powerful words of connecting, feeling your emotions, deriving joy from your art, inspiring to say the least.

Know what, even if you had not said that you were so pleased with your creations I would have know...look how beautifully and boldly you signed each piece. :)

EA said...

I saw your portraits,and it was like a lightbulb going off in my head. You CREATED something from the textures of your life. I'd never even thought of that. So beautiful!

The Surrendered Scribe said...

I love that you took what most would think to be everyday things and you made me want to reach through the screen and touch them. Your prints are alive, full of color, and your words match just as well!

De said...

so beautiful! I'm glad you shared those things in life that we can look at as ordinary, even forget that they are there at times.
Thanks for sharing

Jenny is Live & In Color said...

As soon as the page loaded, I thought, "Wow, those are really beautiful!" I love that you used the textures to make pictures. I also like how you started thinking about the artisans who originally made the items. It's great that you truly enjoy your work!

Cari said...

Those are beautiful!

Nesting Momma said...

I just love it. The cat is amazing. It looks so life like. The rubbings really have depth. Simply beautiful!

Sara said...

wow, thats absolutely amazing

Kim said...

First of all.... Yes, you have brought joy to someone else through your art. Your project turned out beautiful! If mine looked like that I would hang it on a wall instead of filing it in my journal.

I am so glad that you are enjoying the creativity of these projects. It is fun to do and fun to view everyone else's as well.

Kim @ TheBitterBall

Mandaroo said...

Thanks everyone! It was fun! You really should join in, if you haven't already!

~Melissa~ said...

Those turned out so lovely!

Jenny said...

I love the swirly heart...there's something about swirls that just capture me! Nice job and thanks for sharing...

Jenny-up the hill
http://www.jennyupthehill.com

Arizaphale said...

It is brilliant that you are getting so much out of Melody's site! I have looked on several occasions but am too tightly wrapped up at present to join in. Maybe over the Xmas/Summer hols....
But back to you. What a wonderful post. You really are unwrapping and we all get the benefits!

Chelle said...

I love your "art"! I just signed up to do this and did the project, but then forgot to post it. I think I will still do so.

Shauna said...

These are beautiful! I like how you combined the textures to create something new. I'm going to try this idea with my daughter.

Jenny is Live & In Color said...

I posted an impromptu WE challenge on my blog. Please stop by if you get a chance. Thanks!