Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Wrapped Emotions - Legal Grafitti




This week the challenge at Wrapped Emotions was to create Legal Grafitti.

This week let loose...get edgy with your style...free your spirit...absolutely no fear. We had enough of that last week. This prompt is not associated with any tangible or figurative wrapper. I simply want you to experience the fun of creating. This week we're working to feel the emotion of JOY. Not necessarily expressing the actual word or symbolism of joy in your art...you can celebrate shoe polish if you choose. But enJOY the process. Let's create our own graffiti.

Graffiti artists develop their own styles. They work quickly, intuitively, randomly and never stop the process to think about what to do next. You should try anything, everything...collage, paint, stains, spray paint, markers, colored pencils, markers, stencils, doodling, marks, lines, swirls, symbols, written words, calligraphy, images (photos, magazine cutouts, photocopies, sketches), stamps, prints...whatever.

Think of urban graffiti walls. The art is vibrant, multi-layered, freestyle, textured. Do not over think as you work, and do not think neat, orderly. Think juxtaposition. If you have time, go on a search for public graffiti walls in your city or search online for images. Get inspired.

So, that's exactly what I did. I got out my girls' markers and some paper and just started doodling. I've always enjoyed drawing girl's side profiles. I like drawing flowers, and I like using bright colors. As I drew the flowers and the leaves and flowers, I thought about growth. Words just flowed as I drew; peace, love, dreams, smiles, reach, souls, hugs, harmony, family, gentleness, respect, growth, fairies, make a wish. I thought about how when I walk through fear, get past the tears, get past the pain, there is always growth. And, growth of a flower bed represents the growth of me. It was fun drawing swirly shapes, abstract flowers, and writing in her hair. Violet joined in and drew one of her own. I'll post it soon. It was a fun challenge. I remember doodling a lot when I was in school, and it seems I lost the desire to doodle for a long time. Now, I get to doodle a lot, especially since both the girls like to draw and create too. We get to experiment together. For more Wrapped Emotions go to:
Wrapped Emotions button

13 comments:

Paul*HolleeAnn*Jordan said...

WOW...beautiful, and thought provoking. i love when art makes me feel the way your art does, thanks for that!

HolleeAnn

~ Melody ~ said...

I'm thinking. Trying to find my words. But your words do me just fine..."walk thru pain and you grow"..."we all need tears to grow"..."hair, cut it, it feels no pain"..."I feel pain"...I love that you wrote throughout her hair.

Growing means we are living. When you stop growing, you stop living. It is evident that you live fully. Your graffiti expresses you well.

I want to see Violet's, too.

Mandaroo said...

Thank you, your comments made me smile, both of you.

wayabetty said...

YOU are so talented Mandy! And I can't even do stick figures!!

EA said...

You remind me of something I keep learning, and always seem to forget in the midst of the pain... it brings growth. Thank-you. I needed to be reminded today.

Phyllis Sommer said...

beautiful. i love the words that you invoked as you celebrated the art...

Stacy said...

Wonderful! I love how you put everything together in your artwork, with the words in her hair. Thought provoking, as well. Very nice!

The Surrendered Scribe said...

This is exquisite! The words, the beauty in the art, how you made them effortlessly blend together. You are a master in art!

De said...

Deep, yet you leave the graffiti feeling happy. Great post.

Kim said...

Looks great! I really, really like your graffiti. It is meaningful, fun and beautiful. Good job!!!

Kim @ TheBitterBall

Nesting Momma said...

Amazing. I love the words going through the hair...I want to grow. I feel pain...I love it.

Lynnae said...

You are a very good artist! I love the thoughts running through your graffiti, too!

~Melissa~ said...

It's very beautiful! I love all of your thoughts throughout.