Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Wrapped Emotions - Recreate your face



Wrapped Emotions prompt this week was to "recreate your face"

Below are the details:

We are going to get more comfortable with ourselves. We are going to get to know our own face, appreciate it, recognize it and love it. Whoa, get back here! Don't run away from this prompt screaming "Nooooo!!!" I'm in it with you and my face has seen better years.Hold your camera at arm's length and shoot a photo of your face. Oh hush up, yes, get that close. Don't expect it to look good, unless you're twenty years old it will probably look horrible. But we're all here together. Just face it, this is what everyone is looking at so breath deeply and take it.Upload the photo to your computer and with whatever photo editing software you are using de-saturate it, convert it to black and white. Lighten the image if necessary, make sure the image isn't too dark. Print a copy. Oh horrors! I know.Now take your pencil and trace over it...over and over and over. Every feature, every curve and line...trace over it. This is you.After working with your printed image, scan it into your computer and upload it into your Wrapped Emotions' post. Be sure to paste it into you art journal. Talk about the emotions experienced while doing this. Work at accepting and loving your face. Talk about the experience. Above all remember, if you cannot love yourself, how will others love you? How will you love others without self-love?


First of all, I had to take several photos to get one that felt right. Taken from too high up, my forehead looked huge, taken from too low, my chin looked fat. Already, you can see I'm highly critical of myself and not too happy with how I look. When I don't have to look at a picture of myself, I am okay with myself. When I look at a photo of myself, I am critical. Guess that's why you don't see too many self-portraits of me.....


However, looking at this photo of me, in black and white, I feel okay with myself. I think I look my age. When I look past the obvious things that I am critical with myself about (wide forehead, chubby chin, no cheekbones) I see the lines that define who I truly am.


One thing I notice is my smile lines on the side of my mouth, and at the sides of my eyes. People have always said that my girls always smile and always look happy. I see my girls reflections in my smiles. I think that by smiling often at your children, laughing often with them, having a positive disposition with them, showing them, telling them, that they are loved, creates happy, content children. Plus, they just make me smile by looking at them. They are such gifts. Kids need to see happy parents to feel secure and to be happy.


My eyes are happy. they are content with where they are now. They are a reflection of the beauty that I see in my world, through my family, and through nature's gifts. They are not windows to an old soul. They are of a new soul who had to experience and re-experience many things to finally get it right.


The lines created by hard times are seen on my forehead. Fortunately, they are few and small. I was once more serious, very unhappy, and thus frowned a lot. I hit some really hard lows and it took awhile to get through them. Fortunately, it was all pre-marriage, pre-children. I don't think I could have ever gotten to the place I am at, without having gone through it. And, it wasn't just unhappy teen years, it occurred throughout my 20s.


I am not a beautiful lady as lady's are defined in these times, but I believe I am close to being a beautiful person inside. At least, that's what I strive to be. I have my moments of ugly, and try to correct them and make them right. I have moments of hurt, when I allow others to make me feel bad about myself. I have moments of doubt, when I wonder if I'm still on the right path, or whether I have taken a wrong turn and need to go back and straighten it out.


Most importantly, I really need for my girls to see that I am happy with myself and that we are all beautiful people and not to compare ourselves to what others percieved beauty may be.


As far as loving oneself, I don't always love the person that I am, but I can't expect to be perfect, and I have to try to love the imperfect person that I am. It's a work in progress.....and thus the point of participating in Wrapped Emotions.


What do you see?


Wrapped Emotions button

16 comments:

Amanda said...

YOu are beautiful! I love what you are writing with wrapped emotions! Very thoughtful.

~ Melody ~ said...

I see beauty. Outward is obvious, and I think it comes from the beauty within. To me, when that which is within a person is beautiful it shines outwardly.

I love how conscious you are of being an example for your daughters. Thank you for inspiring me through your blogging.

Sara said...

you are so beautiful

Bonnie said...

I love this post ! You really put a lot of thought into this weeks project ! Well done !

Mandaroo said...

Thank you ladies. You're all too nice....
~Melody~, funny how I can see that in others, but sooo hard to see in oneself. But this exercise certainly helped me change my perception (or at least attempt to change!). Thank you!

inspired said...

What a great post! I love your insight! I don't usually post pictures of my family on my post. I cannot decide if that is the reason why I am not sure about this or if I really don't want to capture forever what I look like at this moment!!

Thanks,
Stephanie
www.homeschoolblogger.com/inspired

Stacy said...

You definitely hightlighted those beautiful parts of yourself. Laugh lines, smiles, happy eyes...they are beautiful! I think that no matter how outwardly beautiful a person is, if they are unhappy, frowning, scowling it diminishes them a lot. When a person is truly happy and content, gives smiles often they are giving a bit of sunshine to others and they are beautiful.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful words and inspiration. :)

wayabetty said...

Beautiful and thought provoking from a beautiful and brave lady!!

Sheila said...

You truly unwrapped through the emotions of this project! I can relate to a lot of what you have said. Thank you for sharing!

Donetta said...

I love your take on our girls needing us to enjoy our beauty without hanging falsehoods upon us. Your comment on your own beauty I think error "as defined" by whose definition. Look again you are truly a very beautiful woman with a soft demeanor.
This was a challenge to do wasn't it? :)

Phoenix said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. I love how you mention your daughters smiles reflected in your own! I think you are beautiful and I love your eyes very kind and loving! :)

Pinky said...

You did a great job! Funny, I didn't notice the lines in the first picture that you highligted in the second. I guess we see things differently when looking at ourselves. You have a peaceful look in your eyes. Beautiful.
Pinky
from
www.cheeseinmyshoe.blogspot.com

Angie said...

Pretty picture. Pretty words. Keep smiling Mandy!

Nesting Momma said...

lovely. Pure, happy, kind, fun. Love the lines! What a joy this project was!

Kim said...

Loved your reflections on your smile lines and how you use smiles and happniess when raising your children!

Your photo is really pretty by the way. Great smile.

Kim @ TheBitterBall

Being Made said...

You ARE beautiful. And I think the project brought out the happiness in your face. I agree that it's so important to let our daughters see that we are ok with our bodies. Great job with this.

--beingmade from http://digtoesin.wordpress.com